I know that there can be a lot of anticipation and anxiety when it comes to preparing for your engagement session. After all, it’s most likely the first time you’ve ever had your photos taken professionally and that can be overwhelming. You’re most likely worried about what to wear, how to style your hair and makeup, and whether or not your fiancé will be cooperative or not. It’s a lot to process and can imagine how you are feeling. So, I wanted to write a blog post to give you a better idea of what to expect from your engagement session with me – to hopefully give you some peace of mind. You’ve got this!
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM YOUR ENGAGEMENT SESSIONS’ EXPERIENCE WITH ME
- Our session will start with a quick chat to get to know more of each other. It is very important to trust your photographer and feel comfortable in front of the camera.
- My first tip for you both will be focus on your fiancé and the connection you share with one another. Be as affectionate towards each other as you feel comfortable. After all, this is a session to show off your love! Hold hands, kiss, cuddle … do what feels right to you! Remember, there’s no rule for what’s right in your engagement shoot! At first, you may feel nervous or uncomfortable in front of the camera, but chances are your fiancé feels the exact same way! Laugh through the awkwardness together and your connection will shine through.
- During your session I will give you continuous coaching + guidance. I never want you to feel awkward, uncomfortable and alone in front of the camera. I will be talking to you guys, joking with you, asking you to laugh and if needed will give you some posing tips the entire time I’m shooting.
- Before I start shooting in a new location, I will take a few test shots to dial in my camera settings for the location. So, if you see me shooting without giving you any direction, just know that these are test shots! I’ll definitely let you know when I’m ready to take the “real” photos once I have my settings dialled in.
- My goal for your engagement session is to maximize locations. I won’t need you to move around too much at all. I will generally choose 3 spots for your first outfit and another 3 spots for your second outfit… If you will choose to have different outfits. And by simply changing my angle, your pose, and my lenses throughout the session, I’ll be able to create a lot of variety with this game plan.
- I will definitely ask you to laugh at nothing. Or laugh at me. Or laugh at each other. So be prepared to laugh a lot. The more you commit to laughing, the more joyful your images will be!
- Feeling awkward? Not a bad thing! There is nothing “natural” about having your photos taken when feel really awkward… but they look great on camera. I promise!
- I will give you ladies some tips on how to shift your weight + pop your leg. We will find your best angles and figure out what is your best pose.
- I will send a sneak peek within 24 hours. Make also sure we’re “friends” on Facebook and Instagram so I can tag you when it’s up.
- If you consider on having two outfits-amazing! But be prepared to change clothes in your car. Most locations don’t have a public bathroom with easy access, so just be prepared!
- You should have your final gallery of images in your mailbox within two weeks!
I hope this gives you a good idea of what to expect when it comes to your engagement session, but if you have any other questions prior to your engagement session, please let me know!!